On June 7, I will be moderating a panel at the Future of Online Advertising conference in New York. In preparing for it, here are some questions at the top of my mind:
1 Will all ad-buying eventually become automated? What's the role of (human-powered) agencies vs. (computer-powered) ad networks and marketplaces.
2. How will all the recent consolidation in the industry (DoubleClick, aQuantive, Right Media) change the game? What happened to the concept of a neutral marketplace?
3. What's the next great growth market for online advertising?
4. Can display advertising ever be as effective as search advertising? (i.e., does behavioral targeting actually work, have we seen any measurable lift?)
5. When do product or content recommendations (i.e. "discovery") become targeted ads?
6. What's the right ad unit for Web video?
Anyone have thoughts on these topics? What else should I be asking the panelists (who will represent an online ad network, an ad agency, a user-generated content platform, and a Web video platform)? Comments are open.